With so many laws that exist, it’s getting hard to keep track of them. However, it’s still important to know some of these laws to recognize when others are violating your rights. One such law is the TCPA. This law was designed in response to an increase number of telemarketing calls.
What Is The TCPA Law?
The United States Congress passed the Telephone Consumer Protection Act in 1991. The purpose of this legislation is to protect consumers from creditor and solicitor harassment. The law makes it illegal for collectors or telemarketers to autodial cellphones.
The TCPA Law prohibits…
- Robocalls to your cell phone from credit card companies, charities and debt collectors.
- Repeated telephone calls from any company after you have told them that you want to be placed on their do not call list.
- Calls from a telemarketer if you have been placed on the national do-not-call-list.
- Calls before 8 AM in the morning or after 9 PM.
If you are one of the many consumers harassed by these calls on your cell phone, you might be entitled to receive as much as $1,500 per telephone call.
What Does The TCPA Stand For?
Have you ever received annoying robocalls or pre-recorded messages on your cell phone? Did you know that you can stop these irritating calls and get cash? Consumers can obtain cash compensation for telephone calls that violate this federal law.
The Telephone Protection Consumer Act, or TCPA, is a bill that was first enacted in 1991 and updated in 2015. It protects consumers from these kinds of unwanted robocalls, texts, and faxes.
Unless you give prior written consent, a company cannot call your cell phone for marketing purposes. They cannot use robocalls or automated dialing software to try to reach you on your cell phone. If the TCPA is violated, the solicitor might have to pay you.
What Is A TCPA Claim?
In 1991 Congress passed the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). The goal of the TCPA is to protect consumers from unwanted robocalls, texts and faxes. If you are being annoyed by relentless robocalls, you might be entitled to file a TCPA claim. TCPA violations have resulted in multi-million class-action payouts for victims.
Any person that has received robocalls or unwanted cell phone messages from solicitors might be able to file a TCPA claim and get compensation of up to $1,500 for every single call.
If you have experienced any of the following, you might be entitled to a claim:
- Received an unsolicited call from a telemarketing company on your cell phone.
- Received telephone calls after enrolling on the national do not call list.
- Told a telemarketer to stop calling you, yet they continue.
To file a TCPA claim, you would need to talk to a TCPA robocalls lawyer.
What Is A Violation Of The TCPA?
The TCPA or Telephone Consumer Protection Act protects frequent unwanted telephone calls from collectors or solicitors. These companies must follow strict rules whenever they call your phone. They cannot:
- Call you before 8 AM or after 9 PM.
- Contact you after you have requested to be placed on a national or companies’ do-not-call list.
- Call your cell phone using a robocaller or an automated calling system unless you have expressly given permission.
Even though there are stiff penalties for violating the TCPA, many businesses take this law as more of a suggestion than a rule. However, companies don’t have the right to ignore the law. If you have been harassed by these calls, it is essential to know that you might be entitled to receive up to $1,500 for each telephone call that violates the TCPA.
What Is TCPA Compliance?
The Telephone Consumer Protection Act protects consumers from invasions of privacy stemming from telephone marketing calls. The law includes rules that state that a telemarketer cannot call your cell phone without your prior written consent. The bill also says that a marketer can’t use an autodialer to call your cell phone.
To comply with the TCPA, a business must:
- Obtain written consent for any telemarketing or health care calls.
- Not call or message your cell phone without your prior written consent.
- Not call you if you are on the federal “do not call list” or asked to be placed on the company’s internal “do not call list.”
- Provide their name, address, phone number and whose behalf they are calling from if they are a third party solicitor.
- Not send you advertising faxes unless you have requested these in writing.
Thousands of lawsuits have been filed because companies break these rules all of the time. When they do, they can be held accountable.
The CAN-SPAM Act, or Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing Act, was enacted in 2003. This law sets the rules for commercial or marketing emails. It also gives consumers the right to stop receiving them. There are severe penalties for violations. If a company ignores the CAN-SPAM Act, you might have a right to sue and receive compensation for every single spam email that you have received.
Can I Get Paid For Illegal Calls?
Have you received spam calls? Maybe you have had numerous telephone calls informing that you have won a free cruise or asking if you want to learn how to save on your electric bill. What you might not know is that most of these calls are illegal. Even though the they are illegal, many people still get them anyway.
The good news is that you might be entitled to a payout for each of these unwanted calls that you receive. So, instead of hanging up the next time that you get an annoying robocall, contact a TCPA lawyer to help you file a claim. Each phone call could put up to $1,500 in your pocket.